This is a bit more of an in depth explanation of using honey to wash your face with. I wrote about my whole face care routine here but I didn’t explain in detail the hows and whys I do a honey wash. I usually use the oil cleansing method at night and honey in the morning.
Honey is an amazing thing. Especially if you get the good kind…which would be organic, raw, unpasteurized, unheated, local honey. It isn’t as hard to find as you think. Just make sure it says raw not pure….pure means nothing! Of course its pure…all it is is honey!
Here is why I think honey is so amazing!
- It helps to heal and repair scars
- It literally never goes bad
- It is antibacterial and antimicrobial…naturally, thank you bees!
- Its an anti irritant…so its great for any skin type (unless you have an allergy)
- Its full of enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals
- It tastes amazing
- It helps you to sleep at night (when taken with a fat source…see here for more info)
WASHING YOUR FACE WITH HONEY
Its an easy step to add into your routine or to make your only routine.
You will only need two things.
- Jar of raw honey
- Start with a dry face…no make up, hair tied back. If you have make up on, I will add a note on the end.
- scoop or pour about a rounded 1/2 tsp of honey onto your fingertips
- massage between fingers for a few seconds then apply and massage all over face.
- if it is really sticky and you cannot move it around (my honey is crystallizing so this is me) wet one finger….seriously, only one. Share the water between one on your other hand and continue to massage on your face.
- OPTIONAL…let sit for up to 5 minutes
- Rinse with cool water. A few splashes will usually do.
- I use a facecloth with cool water at the end just to make sure I got all the bit by my nose and hair line.
- I follow it up with a spritz or two of witch hazel
- Use your moisturizer if needed. I usually use my face oil and if really dry, a bit of coconut oil.