So, I have only had my Blendtec for a week and a half and I’ve already used it 45+ times! I am in love with it for almost everything…except making cauli mash. I didn’t think too smooth would be an issue but it gets it so smooth my husband and I cannot stand it. My daughter on the other hand LOVES how smooth it is. Great, now I have to make two versions for the freezer!!!
Anyways. I have been experimenting with whole food smoothies to get more veggies, fats and stuff into myself and my daughter. Usually I let the kids choose what fruits and veggies to put in but now we have moved onto experimenting on what colors of smoothie we can make. We have done red, orange, purple and now green. They have all been a hit. When you make things in a Blendtec, it makes a lot so either you need to share it between kids or with an adult. This recipe made 3 children portions or one child and one adult.
Green Smoothie…kid approved by all the slurping I hear
- 4-6 organic romaine lettuce leaves, ripped up
- a handful(adult) of blanched spinach
- 1 organic carrot, chopped into chunks
- 1 banana(this one was yellow but I try to use them more green for less sugar)
- 2 stalks of organic celery, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/3 organic long english cucumber, chopped into chunks
- 1 organic green apple, I use granny smith, cored and quartered
- *1/4 tsp chlorella
- * 2 tbsp grass fed butter or mct oil
- *1-2 tbsp collagen protein
Wash and chop all veggies and fruit. Put them into your blender in order of softest to hardest. This makes it easier for blending. If adding in collagen wait until the smoothie is done to do a small blend in so you don’t destroy the protein. We have a “whole foods” button that you just press and watch it turn into a smooth shake. Make sure to consume it within 1/2 hr to get all the nutrients from it. It will stay good in the fridge for 24 hrs but it may loose some nutritional value…although I am no expert on this…just what I’ve read.