This is one of my favorite things to make and I keep forgetting to post it! It is so versatile and you can add many other things to make it your own. My favorite part of this is the cauliflower topping…you must, must use lots of butter…that is the secret!
- 1 lb pastured bacon, chopped up and cooked
- 2 cups diced or shredded carrots
- 2 cups organic, diced celery(celery is a heavily sprayed crop, please buy organic)
- 2 lbs grass fed, regular ground beef
- Himalayan salt
- 1 cup bone broth (or whatever broth you have on hand)
- 2 med-lrg heads of cauliflower
- 1/2 – 1 cup grass fed butter
- Chop and steam cauliflower. Throw it in a food processor with a lot (like, almost 1 cup grass fed butter) and whip until really smooth. set aside.
- Chop and cook bacon(on medium) in a large skillet, until mostly cooked.
- Add celery and carrots, cook about 5 min.
- preheat oven 350
- Add ground beef , 1/2 tsp salt and about 1/2 cup broth. Simmer and stir until beef is cooked adding more liquid if necessary. by the end, the liquid should be mostly evaporated
- Pour ground beef mix into large ceramic pan (like a corningware with tall sides). Top with the cauliflower mixture and bake uncovered about 30 minutes.
I have added other veggies like kale, spinach, and fennel with various spices to get different flavors. I will add celery and fennel with turmeric and coriander so get a eastern flavor…so play around. This is just basic.
I’ve made this a few more times since my post and feel like I should comment on the use of broth. I use regular ground beef because its a healthy fat (grass fed and finished) so I don’t need to add too much broth. I add only broth or water enough to cook slowly, almost poach the meat.